Monday, September 8, 2014

Frog on a log at the Bog...walk

My class took a bit of a field trip to a bog in our area. Here there is a trail that leads through and around this bog and has signs posted throughout the walk. We were given a packet to fill out and help us learn about what a bog is how it's created and the difference of that area compared to surrounding areas as well as being able to explain the adaptations of the "pitcher plant" and why they exists and demonstrate our understanding of living things and the differences and similarities between them. I really enjoyed going through this walk. It was nice getting away from the city aspect and getting back to some nature. That is one thing I love most about Marquette; you can enjoy the city, but you are never far from nature and the peace of its quite. It was a little harder to enjoy because there was construction noises going on in the back grounds but that aside I did get to learn a lot. I have heard of bogs, I have seen bogs, but I have never known how they are created. I really enjoyed learning about that. I think the part that fascinated me the most was reading on one of the signs that in Europe, where they mine peat for fuel (peat is the remains of dead plants that collect at the bottom of a swamp and what the bogs sit on basically), scientists have found EXTREMELY well preserved bodies that date back to thousands of years ago, that have been found in bogs! It just amazed me how something such as a bog could preserve a body so well...and makes me think if we should be looking more into that and considering using peat to preserve specific things in the future. Overall the whole walk went well. I learned a lot and got to see a lot of really neat nature. We learned about the pitcher plants that I have never heard of before. They actually eat bugs. They are a small carnivorous plant that has little spikes in their flower that trap bugs. I was really fascinated by these also. Below are a couple pictures I took from the bog walk. They do not to the actual place justice, but they are still a pretty sight to see.

2 comments: